“When Lil Yachty burst onto the scene last year, he seemed like something out of a hip-hop purist’s nightmare: an Auto-Tuned warbler who half-rapped, half-sang his lyrics like a half-asleep ILoveMakonnen, favoring beats that sampled “Finding Nemo” and “Rugrats,” wearing his hair in red Raggedy Ann braids and calling the Notorious B.I.G. overrated. (He eventually apologized for that last one.)”
Listen to Postcultural
- At the 9:30 Club, Noname proved she can out-rap most rappers — even when she’s sick
- Teen-boy angst, toxic misogyny litter Juice WRLD’s Echostage set
- Rapper Father spit in a fan’s mouth at Songbyrd. She raised her arms in celebration.
- Even a stripped-down Nine Inch Nails concert is still an extra-sensory marvel
- Flash of the Spirit festival hopes you give world music a chance
- JPEGMAFIA screams out love (and provocation) to fans at Songbyrd
- When he’s not playing the victim, a Drake concert is a wonder to behold
- Stronger Sex is embarking on a fantastical voyage
- The women wrestlers of WWE have created a movement. Is it built to last?
- Rico Nasty’s homecoming celebration shows a rapper on the verge of stardom