“For nearly two decades, Beth Ditto was the frontwoman for dance-rockers Gossip, commanding audiences with a brash, throaty voice that drew comparisons to Janis Joplin and Tina Turner. But her distinct sound — and the outspoken attitude expected from someone who unapologetically described herself as a “fat, feminist lesbian from Arkansas” — has been relatively quiet since Gossip released their fifth album, “A Joyful Noise,” in 2012.”
Listen to Postcultural
- Juana reconnected with her old friend techno, and the relationship’s thriving
- At the 9:30 Club, Noname proved she can out-rap most rappers — even when she’s sick
- Teen-boy angst, toxic misogyny litter Juice WRLD’s Echostage set
- Rapper Father spit in a fan’s mouth at Songbyrd. She raised her arms in celebration.
- Even a stripped-down Nine Inch Nails concert is still an extra-sensory marvel
- Flash of the Spirit festival hopes you give world music a chance
- JPEGMAFIA screams out love (and provocation) to fans at Songbyrd
- When he’s not playing the victim, a Drake concert is a wonder to behold
- Stronger Sex is embarking on a fantastical voyage
- The women wrestlers of WWE have created a movement. Is it built to last?