“For Screaming Females frontwoman Marissa Paternoster, songwriting isn’t about eureka moments. “A lot of people are under some misconception that when you write music or make paintings or execute any creative act, you’re struck by inspiration. I have never found that really to be true,” she says. “It’s kind of like banging your head against the wall until something comes out.”
Listen to Postcultural
- Juana reconnected with her old friend techno, and the relationship’s thriving
- At the 9:30 Club, Noname proved she can out-rap most rappers — even when she’s sick
- Teen-boy angst, toxic misogyny litter Juice WRLD’s Echostage set
- Rapper Father spit in a fan’s mouth at Songbyrd. She raised her arms in celebration.
- Even a stripped-down Nine Inch Nails concert is still an extra-sensory marvel
- Flash of the Spirit festival hopes you give world music a chance
- JPEGMAFIA screams out love (and provocation) to fans at Songbyrd
- When he’s not playing the victim, a Drake concert is a wonder to behold
- Stronger Sex is embarking on a fantastical voyage
- The women wrestlers of WWE have created a movement. Is it built to last?