“DJ Taye didn’t always dream of being a musician. “I used to want to be an astronaut,” he explains, “until my auntie told me I couldn’t do that. Like on some ‘if you go, you won’t ever make it back’ type of shit.” He laughs at the memory now, and he has no regrets about the vocation that never was. “I can just be in space in my music.”
Listen to Postcultural
- At the 9:30 Club, Noname proved she can out-rap most rappers — even when she’s sick
- Teen-boy angst, toxic misogyny litter Juice WRLD’s Echostage set
- Rapper Father spit in a fan’s mouth at Songbyrd. She raised her arms in celebration.
- Even a stripped-down Nine Inch Nails concert is still an extra-sensory marvel
- Flash of the Spirit festival hopes you give world music a chance
- JPEGMAFIA screams out love (and provocation) to fans at Songbyrd
- When he’s not playing the victim, a Drake concert is a wonder to behold
- Stronger Sex is embarking on a fantastical voyage
- The women wrestlers of WWE have created a movement. Is it built to last?
- Rico Nasty’s homecoming celebration shows a rapper on the verge of stardom